Hans-Georg Gadamer 

What is the truth?

How can we read life and human beings correctly? What is the real truth? What is the reality created by the language we use? How can we read life’s true? How do we live in a reality? Is this a game? If it is how is this a game? How are we in a game? Are we playmakers? What kind of players are we? I have a lot of questions needs to be answered in my head, but I do not know how to start. ‘Truth’ is self-complicated enough to reach an understanding. But I found the content very necessary to study, this is why, in order to direct my thought, I thought it is necessary to deep in for a strong grounding. I have to admit these subjects have led me to many areas and made me think a lot because things were not so easy to put together to make a personal  ‘Truth’ synthesis. However, I learned a lot from the ‘Truth’ and I can say that in my mind many areas my mind have developed many different things in my perceptions. As Gadamer said, ‘let the truth to emerges in you’. In this sense, I have to accept that all ideas need time to evolve in me. In fact, I can catch convincing fiction in time without being aware of that language. I have noticed the game and have caught it from its ‘Truth’ and being dragged into another ‘truth.’ this game is all about catching someone from their own realities and drags them into your own ‘Truth’.

The journey of the Gadamer’s ‘Truth’

Our present ‘Truth’ knowledge is scientifically measurable, predictable, and it is based on experimentation, it leads us back to the object. Scientific knowledge seems to be our only ‘Truth’ for everything.  The Western world has been constructed based on scientific truth and been functioning in this situation since the scientific enlightenment. Gadamer, on top of this fact, descends into the depths of history and gives a micro-history of what the ‘Truth’ is.

“…William of Ockham said we need to use empirical observation carefully calculated to identify what is real. And that continued basic spec table impulse behind Descartes who was looking for certainty of the external world. It continues Newtonian physic mathematizes reality. Doesn’t seem to leave much room for other forms of truth. And of course, modern science picks this up in a radical way so that contemporary scientific truths appear now to be the only kind of real row bust truth. There are ethics and art and these fluffy ideas on the side than those realities which are governed by the sciences….” video of Jessica Frazier

Gadamer looks at, the facts of Giovan B. Vico  ‘Communal, Sense’ and his social work see that, when a person enters a new society, learns the ethical and moral, linguistic, and behavioral bonds of he has created by the social activities he has been subjected to. However, when someone distances himself from the perception of that social entity, Gadamer notice that, that the ‘Truth’ is changing.

Kant’s perception of reality; the reality of physical reality and perception is the same and has determined in a certain way, but our perception of the world of morality and aesthetics are quite different. Kant says that it is not ‘Sense of Communes’, but that it is ‘the notion of taste’ that shapes the right or wrong. Gadamer has not accepted it, because he realizes that ‘Taste’ ‘is a very subjective thought and he says that ‘my personal taste is just for me’. Such a fact is not a rigid whole truth, the subject is holy and specific to me, and he continues ‘we cannot use ‘Taste’ effectively as a fact of truth in communication’. Gadamer thinks that nature has a unique creativity and that creativity, is a logical structure and can be observed. Gadamer tells that the nature of nature’s creativity indicates that we can observe natural creativity, logic, and knowledge. However, Man expresses his creativity with ideas that he has created in a different kind of action separately from nature.

“…Gadamer says noticed what happened here; we divided human and the mind from the physical and natural and they subject to two different kinds of truth…Meanwhile, ethics and aesthetics’ and the other kind of trues and realities, which we live actually of mind and culture, appear to be lost. They drift away became a subsidiary science. Gadamer’s point out that this is a problem that undercuts fundamental tension and anxieties about meaning and value all around us. The later section of the “truth and method” had devoted to trying to expressways to reclaim…”

Game

Gadamer wants us to see ourselves in our own language and culture, and to see ourselves as actors in this big round. According to Gadamer, the game is a way of understanding and description of ontology and he sees the game as a form of learning and understanding the ontological epistemology. The game is described as so when we play with many different people, some rules are formed by the players, that forms and elements of the game followed by the individuals in the game and then the game combine different people into at a common activity area. In this complex game of mutual play, the players who play the game will have a life of their own with the complex activities shared. Each of the players does not lose their individuality while playing the game, but they transform their individuality into a dynamic new reality. So overall to me, Gadamer’s hermetical description of ‘Truth’ is a practice of self- transformation.  And I realize that Gadamer’s philosophies are applicable in today’s dialogues of the current Global world. The newly multicultural mixed dialogists, brought together by the different thinkers and are expanding and fusing unifying thought and creating new games or breaking them games. Within these multiple ‘Truth’, the game’s fiction and the position of the individual can be understood and playmaker by taking advantage of his ideas. Because of Gadamer’s ideas, there is a practice of understanding, changing, transforming and persuading others’ ideas, and by using these practices very effective methods can be constructed in education. Or his hermetic method can be used to monitoring the Truth of life.

“….He says that truth of games, truth other kind of players as well quite a lovely passage which he talks about play of light which shadow and light move together to create a pattern, play of waves, play of nuts animals, the play of musical notes, in all of which we see kind of dialectical of model of different elements of coming together to shape a new pattern. That image is central to the Gadamer philosophy….”

Trough the language of nature we express and habits our reality and;

”…. One very important point he makes – relevant for my thesis and life in general I guess – is how language pre-forms our thoughts. The norms and presuppositions of our native language, and the options we select within that effect how we think and feel….” Lindsay JORDAN (Self-education blog post)

“…. Gadamer wants us to see our self within being, within language and culture within a community and being itself as players within this larger game…”

“…. So if I expect anyone to interact with my context people and object in a successful way I am going to respect to rules.…”

The game is very important for Gadamer, it gives him a lot of room for creativity in the game. Each game created by the players does not only determine them. Every game is the creation of the elements that make up it and we want to tell and remind us about these things with language, community, and all dynamic phenomena. If you dream, of a piece of music, every note is creating that piece of music at any moment. To create a piece of music, the rhythm must follow the general structure of the piece. This is always a fresh thing and Music moves you together in one place.

This is to say that Gadamer’s handling of the facts is not, in fact, a priority for the past tradition, but is the truth of everyone who participates in language or life play at any moment.

According to Gadamer “… Agreement for the best solution, there may be more than one but indeed the more you understand the need of the context and the need of the circumstances propriety you will be able to find the truth that fits the moment…’

“…This important as Gadamer; in any true dialog, both parties enter not hoping to impress their view upon the other but rather wanting to be persuaded by the other person by the other person agreement.  The idea is the other person is persuasive makes a good agreement then as long as you yourself and have been rigorous with your thinking that is because of their ideas truth, of course, the other person idea truth then is right to be changed and adapt. Them. Gadamer’s says that is the approach one should take into any dialog. The goal of communication is to be willing to change, to be willing to transform your own view into something else…”

Conclusion

Gadamer’s thought about ‘Truth’, and the hermetic method he used to make it epistemic was a reaction against modernism. Gadamer says that ‘Spiritual thought’ should not separate from the holistic view of life, and that all life poetry is important. Modern science has developed a measurable concrete method that basically says that there is no room for these matters. But ‘Scientific Truth’ along cannot satisfy us because it’s not giving any answers for many metaphysics notion. In fact, Gadamer’s notice this and developed a hermetic method; scientific knowledge has a context and you have to consider the wider aspects of your subject claim, to see things from a different angle. This will lead to finding out the linear point so that you can make new valuable connections. Thus, the broader space in epistemology and linguistic space can reveal in a clear emerging concept of, how the idea can be influenced, by socially, in such a way to take into account, the point of intersection.

Final personal thought

I have to admit that I never thought life as a game but after Gadamer, I started to see how vividly I was living in condition. I believe in this sense that as time goes by, it will become more apparent to those who play which game. In this sense, this gave me a view beyond space and time. In fact, with Gadamer, I noticed that the language has a huge field in our lives, affecting thoughts in every field and forming our lives and our thoughts with new realities created by mutual divergences. All of this could take me to an awareness to follow those conversation games.

How to apply Gadamer to teaching?

image1: Every block of stone has a statue inside it and it is the task of the sculptor to discover it. Michelangelo

Michelangelo’s ones said “Every block of stone has a statue inside it and it is the task of the sculptor to discover it” how ‘Truth’ this is, the one who sees and create, understand these process. In this case, to me Gadamer and Michelangelo’s perspectives are the same and this hermetic method in the context of education, in the sphere of research method, in the sphere of analysis, can be very beneficial it allows the learners to monitor the ‘Truth’ and make a strong connection effectively to see the big pattern. This area can be extended from beyond the single subject. The possibilities of that can be very valuable for the current world. The intersection of these differences created by the intersection of the possibilities and the possibilities of the emergence of new meanings from meanings. I think that different areas will add much too one-sided areas if it is thought that training is the master of specialization.

I am a bit experiential and I need time to things to sink in and grow in me.  However, I came up with Howard Gardner multiple intelligence theory, which gave me some idea, how I can put this context into practice:

“…Gardner proposed that human beings have several types of intelligence that form the potential to process information in a range of different contexts. Gardner made two fundamental claims about his ideas: first, that they account individual has a unique blend of the various intelligence that makes them into who they are. He suggests that there are nine bits of intelligence. Which can be summarised as:

• Linguistic
  • Logical-mathematical
  • Musical
  • Bodily-kinesthetic
  • Visual-spatial
  • Interpersonal
  • Intrapersonal
  • Naturalistic
  • Existential

“…How you (I) might handle the teaching:

• “…. Albert Einstein: get him working on logical problems and operations to construct a means of escape.
  • Salvador Dali: Get him to experiment with shapes and colors to construct maps of the island.
  • Mozart: Get him to compose an inspirational piece of music to keep people’s spirits up.
  • Alexander the great: Get him working in groups and directing others.
  • Alexander Graham Bell: Get him to working independently on challenging tasks to create lighting, energy, and warmth.
  • “…The Dalai Lama: Get him reflecting on important issues facing the survivors.
  • Socrates: Get him to search for a deeper meaning of why the survivors are there…”

Reference

• Video: Why Hegel knew there would be days like these
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q54VyCpXDH8
  • Michelangelo Quotes
  • Bob Bates, (2016) ‘Learning Theories Simplified’, Sage, London
  • Gianni Vattimo(2008), ‘Art’s Claim to Truth’ Columbia University Press
  • Gianni Vattimo – Modernliğin Sonu 

https://www.scribd.com/document/369591737/Gianni-Vattimo-Modernliğin-Sonu

• Gadamer’s Truth and Methods /Second, Revised Edition/Translation revised by Joel Weinsheimer and Donald G. Ma
     Otherhttps://mvlindsey.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/truth-and-method-gadamer-2004.pdf