As a person

and

Educator

What I am Valuing

‘Seeking truth’

Awareness for Cultural Vandalism

and

Reculturing 

Gadamer and  Nancy Kacungira both names have transformed my thought and my attitude and made me critically think ‘trough the everyday language how we express and habit our reality but, seeking to learn who’s true that we are expressing.

When I analyze Gadamer I came across with Lindsay Jordan blog post ‘Self-education and seeking the truth through conversation’ on her blog a text grab my interest;

”…– relevant for my thesis and life in general I guess – is how language pre-forms our thoughts. The norms and presuppositions of our native language, and the options we select within that, affect how we think and feel…”

After the above text, my mind makes some more connections with a Ted talk which I watched during my elective Unit and still it resonates in my mind deeply and critically.  These talks and after Gadamer, it makes much more sense to me what is to be ‘Turth’ and I think this talk could be a key to decolonizing the Art Curriculum.  I think we should start thinking like her and in my opinion, the ‘Truth’ is in action not in the fiction. It is a state of realization, being wake up and taking control in action to be ‘Truth’. I am just wondering after Socrates how many people lived in ‘Truth’ when I shared this thought with Terry Finnegan (my elective tutor) she told me that as an educator our job is to waking up the student to live in ‘Truth’. How true this is.

So, In terms of Nancy Kacungira | TEDxEuston talk on 2015. The talks called ‘Change the narrative to a dialogue’and she was talking about;

“What African knows about their identity? “What does it mean to them?” She was pointing how the narrative of African presented to the world press by international media. She is also asking “How are we informing our self to the world?” “How are we correcting them, that they wrong.” She continues,  “What we do is we editing the story that’s already being written by them. What exactly we know about our self?” How much we know about our identity? We are growing in a world telling us who we are…” She continues “we get lost in the content because we are not telling our stories from our perspective. I don’t think it makes any sense, pointing fingers and saying why don’t you cover us fairly if we are not covering us fairly.”

When I watched and listen to her, her talks, really have bowed my mind and opened my eyes. This was kind of a Eureka moment and I have started asking questions, ‘how language form our thoughts’, how much we are aware of our own reality and what are the others thinking and saying about ourselves, and how much we are aware of that postcolonial semiotic literature. This literature is everywhere and we have surrounded by. We follow without realizing. These have been making me think, how much effort we are doing to correct those biases in education.

Actually during my Elective unit and Costume Design field studies this critical thinking became more obvious. What I realized from all of my research and actual class environment experience; we were actually promoting and doing exactly what Nancy was saying in her talk. And also what we are doing in education; while the student is researching and applying all that research we allow them to erosion the content of the meaning within postmodern pragmatism. In my opinion, that is a cultural vandalism and this is a result of mass production of the commercial, convergent, and materialistic model of factory education. This is a big problem and it’s obvious in the Global world. Whatever we do here have butterfly effects somewhere around the world. In fact, this shows me that as an educator, we have a role in this condition because we are leaving a long-term effect on the student and this is why I do think that education should add personal and collective values too, to each learner. My critical thinking for that; in an Art and Design related education we should start having more human attachments and ethics to revaluing cultural legacy and human nature. I feel that this is very important because we have many things that pulling us apart and each part attached to the one object and our existence depends on their existence. Cleaning our self from this created fictional realities might even lead us to a solution for decolonizing the Arts Curriculum. To that, we might need new ‘phenomenology’ and new rhetoric dialectic as Nancy Kacungira suggest.

Along the side what we are heading as Aoun predict for our future a more technological advancement. In fact, every one seam to be focusing on artificial intelligence but how about human nature, is there any attention to that? As far as my Pgcert research suggesting to me that human nature seem to be staying behind development apart from some elite. How do I know this? I went to a seminar beginning of this year at London School of Economics and I remember their attention was to understand how to manipulate human nature in the digital world or how to design a shop floor to manipulate human nature to buy things. All those research was all to understand the human nature but in order to manipulate easily.

What I believe what makes us human is our spirit and our emotion of love. To my opinion, we left our spirit far behind us and the only area that can take us beyond our existence I believe is Art but only acting in ‘Truth’.

In terms of Art education all or in general education, we need to revalue what we believe as a ‘Truth’. This is why I would like to deep dig in to understand more internal human nature during my on my initial project.

Finding  ‘truth- yourself from your living-truth.

Or

Recreate yourself from all that fiction.

In my opinion, this is the key.

In Addition to all, I am thinking as an educator where do I want to see my student after they graduate it in a good career or to be a good person who works for humanity, I feel, I will definitely go for the second option. Because my personal thought that; you can always earn money, you will always find the way to have a good life but for me a life it has to be worth living, every day has to be worth to spend not waste. It has to be with full of mindfulness, care for others, doing things for others. To me, this is the ‘Truth’ of living.